Friday, April 15, 2011

The Old Coffeepot

Last night, Big Man was asked by Gypsy Elise to join her and her husband at a little gig they had at The Old Coffeepot Cafe on St. Peter Street in the Quarter, just past Preservation Hall and Pat O's. Way way back in the day, this used to be called Macxy's Coffeepot, and was renowned for its grillades and grits traditional Creole breakfast, but is now just The Coffeepot and does bigger business for lunch and late dinner. It consists of a small indoor dining room with a bar, and a side and back courtyard, where one assumes the original carriageway was, which has lovely local murals painted on the walls.

I have taken folks from out of town here before, and I was not aware that live music had been added. But with Big Man getting the invite to blow with them, and having a ministerial colleague in from out of town, we decided to combine it all for one fun evening.

After finding a lucky legal space to park on Canal, Street, we walked my friend down Bourbon, both so Big Man could check on possible progress on getting his nightclub open (no dice), and so our out-of-towner could get the full effect of the street. Arriving at The Coffeepot (we were unable to short-cut through Pat O'Brien's Courtyard, as it was host to a private party -- too bad!), we found a table available in the courtyard near the musicians, and we sat there as Big Man and his horn were called on stage.

We sat there and we sat there. After we were seated by the hostess, who assured us she was getting our waiter right away, we got nothing. No water, no menus, no drink orders, no nothing. We did see a waiter and a waitress, but they completely ignored us in serving other tables. (Admittedly, all the other tables around us were full, but we weren't even acknowledged.) Good thing the music was so good.

After like 10 minutes, I went back to the hostess and told her, "Look, I'm local, and I understand how things get sometimes, but i've got a friend with me from out of town, and this is ridiculous. We need our waiter." She apologized and said she was going to go get him. I went back to the table and we sat and we sat and we sat. The hostess finally came by and dropped off menus. We waited some more, and after a while, the hostess came back with our three ice waters. She kept saying the waiter was coming.

Finally, after what seemed like a lifetime but was more like 20 minutes, our waiter showed up, apologized, and said (unconvincingly) that he hadn't known we were there, and/or that he hadn't known he was responsible for us. He took our drink orders and left. Then he came back and told me they were all out of fresh mint for the Louisiana mojito I ordered, and said he'd make me a "great hurricane, the best I ever drank." I'm sorry, I had to grab his shirt sleeve. "I'm a native," I said to him clearly, "I haven't had a hurricane in over 40 years and I'm not gonna start up again now. I hate the things -- DO NOT bring me a hurricane." He apologized again and took my order for a classic martini. (I mean, REALLY, I haven't had a hurricane since I was 17 years old and as far as I'm concerned, that's who they're designed for -- for people too young and inexperienced to drink real drinks.)

He finally brought the drinks, and I ordered food for myself and Big Man, and then he walked off, *without* getting the order for my friend from out of town! I had to chase him down and bring him back! Imagine! And then when the food came, he got it all wrong and we had to switch plates round and round on the table.

Luckily, all the food was very very good -- the two different gumbos were dark and smoky and chock full of chicken and andouille and seafood, respectively; the crawfish and crab balls were well-fried, golden brown and yummy; the nice-size barbeque shrimp in its unusual thick and spicy sauce; the really wonderful parmesan crusted redfish over creamy risotto topped with steamed asparagus (NOT grilled, as the menu had said, but still, good). So we were happy with all the food, and of course, the music was terrific. But really, the service!

Since I've raved about restaurants on this blog before, it seems only fair to be honest and forthright when something goes wrong. If you go to The Old Coffeepot, be ready for good food and the occasional great music but bad service. And look out for the brassy and entertaining Gypsy Elise, you might get lucky and hear Big Man singing and blowing trumpet with her!

No comments: