Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Record-Breaking

Two nights ago, during the weather report, Big Man began laughing so hard that he choked and I had to slap him on the back to help him catch his breath again. (He was laughing so hard, he scared our cat, Smokey Robinson, who went running out of the room.) When he caught his breath and could speak, I asked him what set him off, as I had not noticed anything amusing -- let alone THAT amusing.

Big Man asked me, "Didn't you hear the weatherman? He said it was like September or October, and not the end of August." "Yes?" I returned, still not getting it. "The weather showed temperatures in the 80s!" Big Man said, almost shouting, "That's so ridiculous, it's funny!" And he began to laugh again, I think at least partially because I was so dense.

Well, how could I think that was funny? It was only normal to me. For the weather, the heat, to "break" (go "down" into the 80s in the daytime and the 60s at night) in August is so unusual as to be record-breaking -- and indeed, we've been told the last two nights that the temperatures have broken records set way back in the 1950s.

Funny or not, it is a blessing, a relief, for this weather to arrive, however early.

No comments: